Friday, February 4, 2011

WISHING ALL CHINESE A BLESSED CHINESE NEW YEAR!

It's already chinese new year, already past my last day of my work at the office and everything seems to zoom by right in front of me.

I finished work on wednesday just before chinese new year came and to say that it's all but a waste of time is simply ignorant and under appreciative. What I've come to learn is something that I wouldn't have had I just lazed around at home. I've altogether have a totally new view on life in the office and my respect for those people battling wars behind their desk to meet deadlines. Times in the office hasn't all been heavy loads of work, I had a fair bit of time just thinking about my future and catching up with the present. The bbc news webpage is one of my most visited websites now because of the quality they bring to world news and their views. I found myself also surrounded by people of so much warmth and care that I wouldn't ask for less. They would always call me for lunch breaks and after one month of being in the office so many friendships formed that I feel bad leaving so abrubtly. Though deep within me I still feel that the office life is "not my thing" I have put it up as an option knowing how much aspiration and hope my dad has on those broad shoulders of mine. I appreciate just how tough work life is, I now really do.

With Chinese New Year comes so much family warmth that I feel it must be one of the greatest tradition that has embeded itself into the social fabric of singaporean life. Reunion dinner emphasizes on the family and how even from corners of new found lands we gather at where we originated to have a warm meal over steam boat is just heart warming. My cousins family came back from Scotland, putting a pause on school work just to celebrate this time. I think I speak for everyone when i said we had a great time. The food was not only filling to the stomach but warming to the heart. Looking back, I would never trade such a close knit family for anything :)

Then after the traditional new years eve reunion dinner came and flew by the first two days of chinese new year. Not as auspicious this year due to the many mourning periods in our extended family and less people dropping by our house for a visit. Auspiciousness in itself is subjective because I feel that it never is as important as how you meet long lost relatives and that feeling of care and concerns drifts over where ever you go. Never mind new clothes and shoes and material things, a compliment from a relative or just a friendly shake of a hand does things to even those of the toughest of exterior. After so many years of being on the recieving end of ang bao's have I finally realized that the core of the festivities mean so much more.

MOST IMPORTANTLY, the lunar new year is to reunited loss relationships and to bury all anger and resentment to usher in a blessed year ahead. Spending time with loved ones, like how we had so much fun, my siblings and cousins all gathered together for a simple board game or hitting it off in a conversation. It's not how much you get, rather it's about family ties and how much you care.

I would post the photo's soon provided I can get them from my sister!

FOR THE REMAINING DAYS OF THE CHINESE NEW YEAR, TRY LOOKING AT IT LIKE I DID AND YOU'LL ENJOY IT A WHOLE LOT MORE.

To all those who've cared so much in the office, I'm going to miss those times we had. Especially the lunch gang:)

TILL ANOTHER DAY, GOD BLESS AND KEEP ON SMILING :)
UNIVERSAL HERE WE COME!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Dear Blogger,

Ever wonder what other bloggers are thinking? Curious about how your thoughts compare to other bloggers' views on topics like politics, parenting, and prestige?

I'm writing from Blogging Common, a research project at the Berkman Center for Internet & Society and Harvard University. We'd like to ask you to help us by joining a panel of active bloggers. Your involvement in this panel will help us answer important questions about the practices and opinions of bloggers around the globe.

What's in it for you? First access to our results, so you can see how you stack up to bloggers around the world. You'll also have the satisfaction of knowing you're part of an awesome research project at Harvard.

It takes ten minutes to answer our first set of questions. With your permission, we'll send you new short surveys on different topics several times over the next year. We promise not to share your personal information with anyone, and we'll do our best to make this exciting. To complete the survey, please visit the following link:

http://new.qualtrics.com/SE?Q_SS=egMqoqFuHTW7UQk_4Hp4lVv4k0EMdeI

Questions? You can get in touch with us at info@bloggingcommon.org or check out our FAQ at http://bloggingcommon.org/research.

We hope you'll join us,
The Blogging Common Team
Berkman Center for Internet & Society